Bakota [Бакота]. Map: V-7. Formerly a fortified town in the Principality of Galicia-Volhynia, Bakota was first mentioned in the Hypatian Chronicle under the year 1240. It is located in the valley of the Dnister River in eastern Podilia. It is now a village in Kamianets-Podilskyi raion, Khmelnytskyi oblast. Bakota has an ancient Orthodox cave monastery with frescoes and paintings dating back to the 12th-14th century. Near the village there is a paleolithic archeological site.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine