Bazavluk Sich (Bazavlutska sich). The seat of the Zaporozhian Sich from the end of the 16th century, located on the Bazavluk Island at the junction of the Dnipro River and its tributaries the Chortomlyk, Pidpilna, and Skarban rivers. The Sich was built in 1593 after the Tatars destroyed the Tomakivka Sich. It stood until 1638 when it was destroyed by the Polish military expedition following the suppression of an anti-Polish uprising of the Zaporozhian Cossacks in 1637–8.
[This article was written in 2008.]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine