Eparchial school [епархіяльне училище; eparkhialne uchylyshsche]. Name of women’s secondary schools in the Russian Empire that had the same program as gymnasiums and were meant specifically for the daughters of the clergy. These schools were under the jurisdiction of the Holy Synod. They had a six-year program until 1900, when a seventh grade for pedagogical training was added. In 1914 there were 15 eparchial schools in Ukraine.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine