Galician-Bukovynian Committee (Галицько-Буковинський комітет; Halytsko-Bukovynskyi komitet). Organization founded in Kyiv in July–August 1917 to provide relief to Ukrainian prisoners of war and refugees from Galicia and Bukovyna. Its members were mostly from Western Ukraine: Dmytro Levytsky, Volodymyr Okhrymovych, M. Shukhevych, Mykola Sabat, M. Baltarovych, and Ivan Herasymovych. Thanks to the committee’s efforts, at the end of 1917 a Ukrainian Catholic church was built on Pavlovska Street in Kyiv, and on 13 November 1917 the Galician Battalion of the Sich Riflemen was founded.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine