Horodnia [Horodnja]. Map: II-12. City (2001 pop 14,000) and, since 1923, a raion center in northern Chernihiv oblast. First mentioned in 1552, from 1635 to 1654 it was a Polish county center, from 1705 to 1782 a Cossack company town, and from 1782 to 1917 a county town. In 1848, one of the first sugar refineries in Ukraine was built there. It received city status in 1957. The city produces flax fiber, bricks, and food, dairy, and wood products, and processes labradorite.
Encyclopedia of Ukraine