Hrubeshiv [Грубешів; Hrubešiv] (Polish: Hrubieszów). Map: III-4. Town (1998 pop 20,300) and county town in Lublin voivodeship, Poland, situated on the Huchva River in the Kholm region. First mentioned in the 14th century as a royal village, in 1400 it was granted the rights of Magdeburg law. It was destroyed by the Tatars in 1498. For centuries it had been a center of Ukrainian life in the southeastern Kholm region. In 1893 it had a population of 9,600, of which 5,260 were Jews, 3,260 were Orthodox, and 1,070 were Catholic. In the interwar period Ukrainians constituted 38 percent, Ukrainian-speaking Roman Catholics 20 percent, and Poles 32 percent of the population. In May 1946 Hrubeshiv was the site of an encounter between the Ukrainian Insurgent Army and Polish underground units and Soviet and Polish government forces. That same year most of the county's Ukrainians were forcibly resettled in the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine