Kyiv Physics and Chemistry Society (Київське фізико-хімічне товариство; Kyivske fizyko-khimichne tovarystvo). A scholarly society at Kyiv University organized in 1910 on the basis of the chemistry section of the Kyiv Society of Naturalists. The society promoted the study of chemistry and organized public lectures. It published the journal Protokoly fiziko-khimicheskogo obshchestva (1911–15). In 1915 its activity was suspended because of the First World War, and in 1920 it resumed operation again as the chemistry section of the Kyiv Society of Naturalists. It ceased operation in 1932, although it served as the basis for the newly formed Kyiv chapter of the All-Union Chemistry Society. The society’s president throughout its existence was Sergei Reformatsky; other prominent members were Anton Dumansky, Volodymyr Izbekov, Vladimir Plotnikov, and Vladimir Shaposhnikov.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine