Lviv Polytechnic National University (Національний університет «Львівська політехніка»; Natsionalnyi universytet “Lvivska politekhnika”). The oldest polytechnical school of higher education in Ukraine, founded in Lviv as a technical academy in 1844 on the basis of an Austrian Realschule. From 1872 it was called the Lviv Higher Polytechnical School and from 1921 the Lviv Polytechnic. In 1919 the Dubliany Agricultural Academy (est 1891) and the Lviv School of Forestry (est 1874) were incorporated into the school’s Department of Agriculture and Forestry. In 1922–5 the Lviv (Underground) Ukrainian Higher Polytechnical School was run by Ukrainians to counter the discriminatory, anti-Ukrainian educational policies of the Polish authorities. In 1939, following the Soviet invasion of Western Ukraine, the school was renamed Lviv Polytechnical Institute. In 1993 it was reorganized into a university and in 2000 was granted a national university status and assumed its present name.
The university has eighteen research and educational institutes including architecture, civil and environmental engineering, geodesics, computer science and information technologies, mechanical engineering and transport, power engineering and control systems, and others. Its library had approximately 1.8 million volumes. The university has over 33,000 students. The main building housing the university in Lviv was designed (1873–7) by Juljan Zacharjewicz.
[This article was updated in 2016.]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine