Molochansk [Молочанськ; Moločans'k]. See Google Map. EU Map: VI-16. A town (2020 pop 6,327) located on the Molochna River in Zaporizhia oblast and administered by the Tokmak municipal council. In 1803 a settlement called Halbstadt was founded at the site by German Mennonites. It was renamed Molochanske in 1915 and granted city status in 1938. The town has several food enterprises, a furniture factory, and a branch of the Prohres metallurgical plant. Archeologists have discovered many kurhans from the Bronze Age (3rd–1st millennium BC) and the Scythian (4th–3rd century BC) and Sarmatian (2nd century BC to 2nd century AD) periods in the vicinity.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine