Novoukrainka [Новоукраїнка; Novoukrajinka]. Map: V-12. A city (2016 pop 17,151) on the Chornyi Tashlyk River and a raion center in Kirovohrad oblast. In 1754 the Russian fortress of Pavlovsk (Novopavlovsk in 1764–73) was built on territory belonging to the Zaporozhian Sich. In 1769 the fortress and the settlement around it were destroyed by the Crimean Tatars. The rebuilt settlement was renamed Novoukrainka in 1830 and was granted city status in 1938. Today it has several large enterprises of the food and building-materials industries.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine