Sarny [Сарни]. Map: II-7. A city (2011 pop 28,604) on the Sluch River and a raion center in Rivne oblast. It sprang up as a workers' settlement in 1885, when the Rivne–Luninets railway line was built. Before the First World War the town belonged to Lutsk county, Volhynia gubernia. In the interwar period it was under Polish rule, and in 1939 it became part of the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. Today the city is an industrial and transportation center. Its main industries are machine building and metalworking, building materials, woodworking, and flax processing.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine