Society of Ukrainian Jurists (Товариство українських правників; Tovarystvo ukrainskykh pravnykiv). A society of legal scholars established in Kyiv in 1921 within the All-Ukrainian Academy of Sciences to conduct legal research (see Legal scholarship) and disseminate legal knowledge. Its members, varying from 35 to 70 in number, were active in various commissions and sections of the academy. The society’s presidents were Orest Levytsky, Oleksa Huliaiev, and Yoanykii Malynovsky; its secretary was Borys Yazlovsky. In the late 1920s the society was suppressed by the Soviet government.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine