Ukrainian Historical-Philological Society [Українське історично-філологічне товариство; Ukrainske istorychno-filolohichne tovarystvo]. A Ukrainian learned society founded in Prague in 1923 and affiliated with the Ukrainian Free University. It held semimonthly sessions featuring scholarly lectures and published offset editions of its members’ essays and five volumes of its proceedings (1926–44). Its members participated in European Slavic conferences. Most of its approximately 50 members were specialists in Ukrainian history or philology and worked as scholars and teachers in Czechoslovakia. Its president was Dmytro Antonovych (1923–45), and its prominent members included Oleksander Kolessa, Vasyl Bidnov, and Symon Narizhny. The society was disbanded when the Soviet Army occupied Prague and was revived briefly in Munich in 1946 under the leadership of Vadym Shcherbakivsky.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine