Ukrainska Zakhoronka [Українська Захоронка]. A society founded in 1901 in Lviv on the initiative of the Club of Ruthenian Women, to hinder the trend of denationalization of Ukrainian children of preschool age in Polish-governed Western Ukraine. Until 1912 it was called Ruska Zakhoronka. In 1914 the society supported two nurseries operated according to Froebel techniques. By 1922 the society was responsible for 22 nurseries in Lviv and its surrounding area. The Ridna Shkola society was responsible for the educational component of these nurseries. Leading members of the Ukrainska Zakhoronka included V. Kotsovska, S. Rakova, and Mariia Pasternak. In 1938–9 the society published the journal Ukraïns’ke doshkillia, devoted to preschool education. In 1939 the society was disbanded by the Soviet authorities, and the nurseries were incorporated into the Soviet preschool educational system.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine