Velykyi Bereznyi [Velykyj Bereznyj]. Map: V-3. A town smt (2001 pop 6,804) on the Uzh River and a raion center in Transcarpathia oblast. It was first mentioned in historical documents in 1427, when it was under Hungarian rule. At the end of the 17th century the village was annexed by Austria, and in the interwar period it belonged to Czechoslovakia. In 1945 it was transferred from Hungary to the Ukrainian Soviet Socialist Republic. The town manufactures kitchen furniture and canned foods and bottles mineral water. It has a fine park, planted in the 19th century.
Encyclopedia of Ukraine