Zalishchyky [Заліщики; Zališčyky]. Map: V-6. A town (2011 pop 9,426) on the Dnister River and a raion center in Ternopil oblast. It is first mentioned in a historical document in 1340. From the 15th century the town was under Polish rule. In 1766 it was granted the rights of Magdeburg law. After the partition of Poland in 1772, it was annexed by Austria, and in 1868 it became a county center of Galicia. In the interwar period (1919–39) it was again occupied by Poland. Today it is a river port and a climatological resort area that attracts 10,000 visitors a year. Zalishchyky has three resorts, a children's tuberculosis sanatorium, and a tourist base. Grapes, peaches, apricots, and tobacco are grown in its vicinity. The chief architectural monuments are a 18th-century Roman Catholic Church of Saint Stanislaus and an 18th-century city hall, palace, and park. In 1927 a large Trypilian culture settlement was discovered there.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]
Encyclopedia of Ukraine