Pankovych, Stepan [Панкович, Степан; Pankovyč], b 29 October 1820 in Veliatyn, near Khust, Transcarpathia, d 29 August 1874 in Uzhhorod. Greek Catholic bishop of Mukachevo (1867–74). He studied at Tarnov in Czechoslovakia and in Uzhhorod and then served as a tutor of children of the nobility. A Magyarone, as bishop Pankovych actively Latinized and Magyarized the Mukachevo eparchy. In 1873 he made a section of the eparchy into a separate Hungarian Greek Catholic vicariate, which later became Hajdúdorog eparchy.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]