Society of Friends of Ukrainian Culture
Society of Friends of Ukrainian Culture (Товариство прихильників української культури; Tovarystvo prykhylnykiv ukrainskoi kultury; Portuguese: Sociedade dos Amigos da Cultura Ucraniana). An organization established at the General Congress of Brazilian Ukrainians in Curitiba in 1947. It was based in Brazil’s larger settlements, and it published the Boletim Informativo in Portuguese in 1950–61 and broadcast a radio program during approximately the same period. With an out-migration of active supporters to North America in 1960–5, the society lost much of its dynamism. In 1975 it had three branches in Paraná and one in Rio Grande do Sul. Leading figures in the group included Rev M. Ivaniv, Rev M. Kaminsky, O. Dilai, R. Kulytsky, and Mykola Hets.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]