Theotokis, Nicephorous, b 1731 on Corfu, Greece, d 1800 in Moscow. Orthodox bishop of Greek origin. He came to Ukraine in 1776 (probably from Corfu) and served as bishop of Kherson and Sloviansk, with his see in Poltava, in 1779–86. He established a seminary in Poltava, which was moved to Katerynoslav in 1786. He left several writings in Greek and Russian, most notably an epistle to the Old Believers in his eparchy.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]