Vovchansk [Vovčans’k]. Map: III-17. A city (2001 pop 20,695) on the Vovcha River and a raion center in Kharkiv oblast. It was founded in 1674 as the Cossacksloboda of Vovchi Vody. In the 18th century its military significance declined, and it became a county administrative center. In 1780 it was granted city status, and in 1776 its name was changed from Vovcha to Vovchansk. In the middle of the 19th century the town had eight or nine fairs a year. The main commodities were cattle and sheep. In the second half of the century it developed as an industrial center. Today the city's factories produce building materials, asphalt, vegetable oil, cotton thread, and furniture.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 5 (1993).]
List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Vovchansk entry:
A referral to this page is found in 20 entries.
Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.