Askaniia-Nova [Askanija-Nova]. Map: VII-14. Town smt (2005 pop 3,475) in Chaplynka raion, Kherson oblast. Although there have been settlements in the vicinity since the late Bronze Age, documentary sources first mention a town only in 1822. The original name was Chapli, but the present name has been used since 1841. Located nearby is the Askaniia-Nova Biosphere Reserve.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]