Bereg komitat. A former Hungarian county in central Transcarpathia. In 1910 it covered an area of 3,800 sq km and had a population of 237,000, of which 101,000 were Ukrainian. In 1918 part of the Bereg komitat remained in Hungary, while the larger, northern part was transferred to Czechoslovakia and existed as Bereg county (Berezhska zhupa) until 1927. Berehove was the center of the county.