Bobrynets [Bobrynec']. Map: V-13. City (2001 pop 12,300) and raion center in southern Kirovohrad oblast. Bobrynets was founded in the mid-18th century. From 1829 to 1865 it was a county town in Kherson gubernia; because of its distance from the railway line (54 km) it did not develop quickly (1860 pop 9,600; 1897 pop 14,200). The town was involved in agriculture, crafts, and trade. During the 1860s two leading directors of the Ukrainian theater, Marko Kropyvnytsky and Ivan Karpenko-Kary, established an amateur theatrical troupe here. The city has a minor food industry and an agricultural tekhnikum.