Bohodukhiv

Image - Bohodukhiv town hall.

Bohodukhiv [Bohoduxiv]. Map: III-16. City (2001 pop 18,200) and raion center in northwestern Kharkiv oblast, on the Merlia River (a tributary of the Vorskla River). It was first mentioned in 1571 as Diakiv citadel, a defense post against Tatar raids. The Bohodukhiv fortress was built in 1662. Bohodukhiv became a town in 1681 and a county center of Kharkiv vicegerency (later Kharkiv gubernia) in 1780. The city has a repair plant, a food-processing industry, and a medical school.




List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Bohodukhiv entry:


A referral to this page is found in 9 entries.



Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.