Bratslav region [Брацлавщина; Bratslavshchyna]. A historical-geographic region in Right-Bank Ukraine that emerged in the second half of the 16th century and played an important role until the 18th century. The region got its name from its main town, Bratslav. After being incorporated into Poland by the Treaty of Lublin in 1569, its territory became Bratslav voivodeship. In 1648 it became part of the Hetman state, but in 1667 it was returned to Poland by the Treaty of Andrusovo. From 1648 to 1712 the region also constituted a Cossack regiment. After the second partition of Poland in 1793, the region was annexed by Russia. Up to 1796 it was called Bratslav vicegerency; then it became part of Podilia gubernia and Kyiv gubernia.
Lying on the border of Turkish and Tatar territories, the region suffered frequent incursions and was sparsely settled. The Ukrainian population of the region resisted Polish domination: in 1541 and 1594–5 the burghers of Bratslav revolted, in 1594–6 Severyn Nalyvaiko led a peasant-Cossack uprising, and in 1692–1703 Andrii Abazyn led a rebellion there.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]