Cherkasy National University
Cherkasy National University (Черкаський національний університет ім. Б. Хмельницького; Cherkaskyi natsionalnyi universytet im. B. Khmelnytskoho). An institution of higher education in Cherkasy. Founded in 1921 as the Cherkasy Institute of People's Education which was reorganized into the Cherkasy Pedagogical Institute in 1933. A botanical garden was established at the institute in 1936 and it soon became an important educational facility. In 1995 the institute was reorganized into the Cherkasy State University named after Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky. In 1998 the university was granted a national university status and assumed its current name. The university is divided into eight institutes (foreign languages, history and philosophy, economy and law, pedagogical education and social sciences, sciences, physical education and health, philology and social communication, and physics, mathematics, and computer science) and has two faculties (psychology and computer science and information systems). The student enrollment in 2007 was 7,600. The university publishes a newspaper Visnyk Cherkas’koho universytetu. Its library has a collection of nearly 840,000 volumes.
[This article was written in 2011.]