Cherkasy Oblast Academic Ukrainian Music and Drama Theater
Cherkasy Oblast Academic Ukrainian Music and Drama Theater (Черкаський обласний академічний музично-драматичний театр ім. Т. Шевченка; Cherkaskyi oblasnyi akademichnyi muzychno-dramatychnyi teatr im. T. Shevchenka). The theater was initially established as a workers' and collective-farm theater in Cherkasy in 1932 by a group of graduates of the Third Studio of the Berezil theater. In 1939 the theater was named after the Ukrainian national poet Taras Shevchenko. The theater was reorganized several times: in 1954 into the Cherkasy Drama Theater; in 1963 into the Cherkasy Oblast State Ukrainian Music and Drama Theater; and in 2006 it obtained its current status and assumed its current name. The theater has staged classical Ukrainian, Western, Russian and Soviet plays. Notable performances included the staging of T. Shevchenko’s Nazar Stodolia, Haidamakas, and The Great Vault, Lesia Ukrainka’s The Forest Song, Lina Kostenko’s Duma about the Brothers Not from Azov, Anton Chekhov’s The Cherry Orchard, Nikolai Gogol’s Marriage, and William Shakespeare’s Othello. Among its members have been Yu. Berlinsky, V. Semenenko, Danylo Narbut (as set designer), and others.
[This article was written in 2011.]