Dnieper-Buh Canal (formerly Royal Canal). A canal in Polisia that connects the Dnieper River and the Vistula River systems by way of the Pyna River, a tributary of the Prypiat River, and the Mukhavets River, a tributary of the Buh River. The Dnieper-Buh Canal lies on Ukrainian ethnic territory within Belarus. It was built in 1775–6 and was widened in 1846–8. Water was drawn from the Bile Lake and Orikhove Lake. The canal was navigable only in the spring and fall, when the water level reached 1.5 m. The canal was rebuilt in 1940–1 and again in 1945–6, at which point it was deepened and the number of locks was reduced from 22 to 10. Lumber, grain, anthracite, petroleum products, iron ore from Kryvyi Rih, and building materials are shipped through the canal.