Dnieper-Kryvyi Rih Canal

Dnieper-Kryvyi Rih Canal. (Map: Dnieper-Kryvyi Rih Canal.) Canal located in Dnipropetrovsk oblast, built in 1957–61 and reconstructed in 1975-79 to provide water for the industrial region of Kryvyi Rih. Water for the canal is collected at the Kakhivka Reservoir and raised by a set of 3 pumping stations 83.8 m in order to reach the Pivdenne Reservoir (capacity, 57.3 million cu m). The main canal is 41.3 km in length; it has a winter capacity of 26.5 cu m/sec. and a summer capacity of 44 cu m/sec. From the Pivdenne Reservoir, some water is conveyed by pressure pipelines to the city of Kryvyi Rih; the rest is conveyed by a canal north to the Kresiv Reservoir on the Saksahan River, which helps control the flow of the latter through Kryvyi Rih. Water from the Dnieper-Kryvyi Rih Canal is used primarily for municipal and industrial water supply (929 million cu m per year) and also for irrigation (93 million cu m per year). In 1977 this canal supplied water to irrigate 26,000 ha.

Ihor Stebelsky

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]




List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Dnieper-Kryvyi Rih Canal entry:


A referral to this page is found in 1 entry.















Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.