Dorohobuzh [Дорогобуж; Dorohobuž]. An ancient princely town, today a village (pop 663) on the Horyn River east of Rivne in Hoshcha raion, Rivne oblast. The first mention of the town is found in Ruskaia Pravda of the 11th century. A later Primary Chronicle entry states that in 1084 the town was granted to Prince Davyd Ihorovych, who died there in 1112. From 1170 the town was the capital of Dorohobuzh appanage principality, ruled by Ingvar Yaroslavych (d after 1211), and later it became part of Lutsk principality. The Monastery of the Savior that existed here was abolished by the Russian government in the 19th century and probably dated back to the Princely era.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 1 (1984).]