Kharkiv Painting School
Kharkiv Painting School (Харківська малювальна школа; Kharkivska maliuvalna shkola). Founded in 1869 as a private art school by Mariia Raievska-Ivanova, it was reorganized in 1896 into the City Painting School. In 1912 it was turned into a secondary art school whose graduates were admitted to art academies. Its teachers and patrons included Petro Levchenko, Serhii Vasylkivsky, Ilia Repin, Mykhailo Berkos, and M. Fedorov. In 1921 the Kharkiv Painting School was transformed into a higher art institution, the Kharkiv Art Tekhnikum, which in 1927-8 was renamed the Kharkiv Art Institute and included a vocational art school.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]