Kitsman [Кіцмань; Kicman’]. Map: V-6. Town (2008 pop 5,400), and raion center in Chernivtsi oblast, situated on the Sovytsia River in Bukovyna. First mentioned in 1413, it was a part of Moldavia from the 14th to the mid-16th century, and then until 1774 it belonged to Turkey. Under Austria (1774–1918) it was a Ukrainian cultural and educational center. In November 1918 it was briefly the seat of the Ukrainian-Bukovynian government, then it was annexed by Romania and, in June 1940, by the Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, when it ceased being an important Ukrainian cultural center in northern Bukovyna. It has a state-farm tekhnikum (formerly a Ukrainian agricultural school).
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]