Korop. Map: II-13. Town smt (2001 pop 5,690) and raion center in Chernihiv oblast, situated in the Desna River valley. First mentioned in the Hypatian Chronicle under the year 1153 as Khorobor, Korop was a company town in Nizhyn regiment and the seat of the Hetman state's artillery from 1659 to the mid-18th century; its company was commanded directly by the hetman. It had the only fortified church in Left-Bank Ukraine. The town was granted the rights of Magdeburg law in the early 18th century. From 1782 to 1797 it was a county town in Novhorod-Siverskyi vicegerency. Korop has a food industry and a flax mill. Among the town's most important architectural monuments are the half-ruined Saint Elijah's Church (1750s), the Church of the Assumption (18th century), and the wooden Trinity Church (1716).
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1989).]