Krukenychi Group (група «Крукеничі»; hrupa “Krukenychi”). Formed in December 1918 as an operational unit of the Ukrainian Galician Army (UHA), it was given the task of defending the western approaches to Sambir and Drohobych against the Polish army. Its headquarters were located in Krukenychi village, Mostyska county, Galicia. At its peak the group consisted of four infantry kurins with four companies each, a cavalry troop, and three artillery batteries. Its commanders were Lt Matvii Stakhiv, Capt Kravchuk, Col Volodymyr Shepel, and Lt Col Fedorovych. In June 1919 it was forced to retreat into Czechoslovakia. Later, soldiers from the Krukenychi Group were assigned to the Stryi Brigade of the Ukrainian Galician Army.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1989).]