Kyiv Juridical Society
Kyiv Juridical Society (Киевское юридическое общество; Kievskoe yuridicheskoe obshchestvo). Association of lecturers of the Kyiv University Faculty of Law and of other law scholars, established in 1877. In 1880 a department of customary law was set up with in the society. The society’s publications consisted of the Code of Laws of 1743, university textbooks, and monographs. Its presidents included Vasyl Demchenko, Oleksa Huliaiev, Oleksander Kistiakovsky, Kalenyk Mytiukov, V. Synaisky, and V. Udintsev. The society’s members were liberal in orientation. Its activities ceased in 1916.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]