Kyiv Music School
Kyiv Music School (Київська музична школа; Kyivska muzychna shkola). The first professional music school in Kyiv. It was founded in 1768 by the Kyiv City Council on the basis of the city’s musicians' guild to prepare musicians for the city orchestra. Besides music, students were taught mathematics, history, geography, and languages. In 1831 the school and orchestra were joined to form the Kyiv City Kapelle, which gave concerts, accompanied theatrical performances, and played at official receptions. The kapelle and school were closed in 1852.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 2 (1988).]