Luhansk University

Image - Luhansk University building.

Luhansk University [Луганський національний університет ім. Т.Г. Шевченка; Luhanskyi natsionalnyi universytet im. T.H. Shevchenka]. An institution of higher learning in Luhansk. Originally formed in 1921 to provide courses for teachers, in 1924 it became a branch of the Donetsk Institute of People's Education. In 1934 the school was reorganized as a pedagogical institute and in 1939 it was named after Taras Shevchenko. In 1998 it has been reorganized into a pedagogical university and in 2008 it was granted a national university status and assumed its present name. The university has four faculties: Ukrainian philology, foreign languages, natural sciences, and preparatory training, and seven institutes: economy and business; physics, mathematics, and information technologies; trade and tourism; pedagogy and psychology; arts and culture; physical education and sports; and continuing education and distance learning. It also operates a research division, branch laboratories, and an agricultural research station. The student enrollment is approximately 30,000.

[This article was updated in 2014.]




List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Luhansk University entry:


A referral to this page is found in 2 entries.



Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  
 

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.