Lutuhyne [Лутугине]. Map: V-20, DB Map: DBII-6. A smt town (2011 pop 18,107) on the Vilkhivka River and a raion center in Luhansk oblast. It was founded in 1896 when a steel-rolling machinery plant was built there. In 1914 a railway station was built, and the settlement was named Shmidtivka. In 1925 it was renamed Lutuhyne. It became an smt in 1960. It has a coal mine and machine building and metalworking industry.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]