Máriapócs Monastery. A Basilian monastery located in an area of northeastern Hungary inhabited mostly by Magyarized Greek Catholic Ukrainians. It was established in 1749 and served as an important religious and cultural center for Transcarpathia. A miraculous icon of the weeping Mother of God was located there. The monastery attracted up to 100,000 pilgrims annually to 1914 and during the Second World War. After the war it was closed; the church was declared a minor basilica in 1948.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]