Mohyla Society [Товариство ім. Митрополита Петра Могили; Tovarystvo im. Mytropolyta Petra Mohyly]. A religious education society based in Lutsk in 1931–9. Dedicated to studying traditional Ukrainian Orthodox religious practice and encouraging religious education, the society published the periodicals Za sobornist’ (edited by Ivan Vlasovsky) and Shliakh (Lutsk) and organized lectures and seminars. It also published some liturgical books that were being translated into Ukrainian by a special synodal commission of the Polish Autocephalous Orthodox church. The society was headed by Serhii Tymoshenko and Mytrofan Khanenko. It was disbanded after the Soviet occupation of Western Ukraine in 1939.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]