Mostyska [Мостиська; Mostys'ka]. Map: IV-4. A town (2014 pop 11,100) on the Sichna River and a raion center in Lviv oblast. It is first mentioned in a historical document in 1244. In 1404 it was granted the rights of Magdeburg law, and in 1498 and 1524 it was destroyed by the Tatars and Turks. During the Cossack-Polish War of 1648–57 it was captured by the Cossacks, and its castle used as a Cossack stronghold. Under Austrian rule the town flourished as a county administrative and trade center. Today its chief enterprise is a plant of the Elektron Manufacturing Consortium.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]