Nadvirna. Map: V-5. A city (2001 pop 20,900) on the Bystrytsia Nadvirnianska River and a raion center in Ivano-Frankivske oblast. It was first mentioned in historical documents in 1595. After the first partition of Poland in 1772 it was annexed by Austria. In 1939 it was occupied by the Soviets and granted city status. The Nadvirna region is rich in natural resources, such as oil, natural gas, potassium salts, and forests. Petroleum refining is a major source of the city's income.