National Technical University «Kharkiv Polytechnical Institute»
National Technical University «Kharkiv Polytechnical Institute» (Національний технічний університет ‘Харківський політехнічний інститут’; Natsionalnyi tekhnichnyi universytet ‘Kharkivskyi politekhnichnyi instytut’). An institution of higher education in Kharkiv under the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, and one of the leading technical schools in Ukraine. It was formed as Kharkiv Polytechnical Institute in 1929 out of the Kharkiv Technological Institute, which was founded in 1885. In 1930 it was replaced by a number of specialized institutes—mechanical, electrical, chemical, civil engineering, and aviation—but it was restored in 1949. In 1994 it was renamed Kharkiv State Technical University. In 2000 it was granted the national university status and assumed its present name. In 2010 the university was granted the status of a self-governed (autonomous) research national university. It has 22 faculties—including the faculties of mechanical engineering, electric-power engineering, automatization and instrument engineering, computer science and information technologies, transport engineering industry, business and finance, and others. It also has a branch faculty in Chernivtsi and educational centers in Izium, Berdiansk, Balakliia, and Poltava. The university has 92 departments and over 100 laboratories. A graduate program and several upgrading programs are offered to postgraduates. The undergraduate program offers three educational levels: bachelor (4 years), professional (4 plus 1.5 years), and masters (4 plus 2 years). In 2010 the enrollment was over 25,000.
[This article was updated in 2010.]