Nizhyn State University
Nizhyn State University (Ніженський державний університет ім. М.В. Гоголя; Nizhenskyi derzhavnyi universytet im. M.V. Hoholia). An institution of higher learning in Nizhyn, Chernihiv oblast. It was founded in 1934 as Nizhyn Pedagogical Institute in place of the Nizhyn Institute of People's Education (1920–30) and Institute of Social Education (1930–4) as the successor to the Nizhyn Lyceum. In 1939 it was named after Nikolai Gogol, who had studied at the lyceum during the 1820s. In 1998 it obtained a state pedagogical university status, and in 2004 it was granted a state university status and assumed its present name. The university is under the jurisdiction of the Ukrainian Ministry of Education. It consists of seven faculties: philology, history and law, foreign languages, culture and arts, psychology and social sciences, natural sciences, and physics-mathematics. It has a library of over 1 million volumes and periodicals and a museum of rare books. The university houses six other museums, one of which is devoted to Gogol, and an art gallery. The student enrollment in 2012 was 6,000. Among its alumni are many writers (eg, Yevhen Hutsalo, Yurii Zbanatsky) and scholars (Petro Bohach).
[This article was updated in 2013.]