Odesa Archeological Society
Odesa Archeological Society [Одеське археологічне товариство; Odeske arkheolohichne tovarystvo]. A scholarly organization formed in 1959 as an extension of the Odesa Archeological Museum. With a membership of approximately 500 archeologists and regional studies specialists from Odesa, Kyiv, Saint Petersburg, Simferopol, and Kishinev, the society was formed to help co-ordinate and popularize archeological work in the northern Black Sea region. To this end it has sponsored conferences, published proceedings and serials, and undertaken annual archeological expeditions.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]