Ostrih or Ostroh. Map: III-7. A city (2001 pop 14,800) at the junction of the Viliia River and the Horyn River and a raion center in Rivne oblast. It is first mentioned in the Hypatian Chronicle under the year 1100. In the second half of the 14th century it came under Lithuanian rule. From 1386 Ostrih belonged to the Ostrozky family, who built a castle and the Church of the Epiphany and established Ostrih as an important cultural, religious, and economic center. In 1528 it was granted the rights of Magdeburg law. Until 1630 the town was a leading center of Ukrainian Orthodoxy: in the 1570s an academy (see Ostrih Academy) and a printing press (see Ostrih Press) were set up, and in 1581 an improved translation of the Bible was published there (see Ostrih Bible). As the Roman Catholic movement and the state's policy of Polonization increased in strength, Ostrih lost its cultural and religious role. It was captured by Bohdan Khmelnytsky in 1648, and the castle and church were destroyed in the process. In the second half of the 17th century Ostrih became the property of the Zasławski family, the Wiśniowiecki family (in 1673), and finally the Sanguszko family (in 1700). In 1793, with the partition of Poland, it was transferred to Russia, and became a county center in Volhynia gubernia. Today the town has a dairy, a sugar refinery, a cannery, a brewery, an asphalt and brick factory, and a railway-track repair plant. Its architectural monuments include the remains of the castle (14th–16th century), the 15th-century Church of the Epiphany (rebuilt in the 16th and restored in the 19th century), a 17th-century synagogue, and a 19th-century academy complex. In 1994, the Ostrih Academy was reestablished as the Ostrih Higher Collegium, which was conferred university status in 2000 and renamed the Ostrih Academy National University.
[This article was updated in 2007.]