Pervomaisk (Luhansk oblast)

Image - Pervomaisk (Luhansk oblast): St. Elijah Church.

Pervomaisk (Luhansk oblast) [Первомайськ; Pervomajs’k]. Map: V-19, DB Map: DBII-5. A city (2013 pop 43,094) on the Luhanka River in Luhansk oblast. From 1765 the settlement was known as Petromarivka; in 1920 it was renamed. A mine was opened there in 1872. The city is now a major coal-mining center, with eight coal mines and two enrichment plants. It also produces electric machines, building materials, reinforced-concrete goods, and footwear.

[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 3 (1993).]

List of related links from Encyclopedia of Ukraine pointing to Pervomaisk (Luhansk oblast) entry:

A referral to this page is found in 3 entries.

Click Home to get to the IEU Home page; to contact the IEU editors click Contact.
To learn more about IEU click About IEU and to view the list of donors and to become an IEU supporter click Donors.  

©2001 All Rights Reserved. Canadian Institute of Ukrainian Studies.