Pidoplichko, Ivan [Підоплічко, Іван; Pidopličko], b 2 August 1905 in Kozatske, Zvenyhorodka county, Kyiv gubernia, d 20 June 1975 in Kyiv. Zoologist and paleontologist; full member of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR from 1967. A graduate of the Leningrad Institute of Applied Zoology and Phytopathology (1927), he was a longtime associate of the Institute of Zoology of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR (department head in 1935–41 and 1947–73 and director in 1965–73), a lecturer and professor at Kyiv University (1939–59), associate editor of Ukraïns’ka radians’ka entsyklopediia (The Ukrainian Soviet Encyclopedia, 1958–67), and director of the Central Museum of Natural History of the Academy of Sciences of the Ukrainian SSR (1973–5). Pidoplichko took part in research excavations at several late Paleolithic sites, notably in the Mezhyrich archeological site and Mizyn archeological site, and wrote Materialy do vyvchennia mynulykh faun URSR (Materials for the Study of Past Fauna of the Ukrainian SSR, 2 vols, 1938, 1956), Korotka istoriia Zemli (A Short History of Earth, 1958), and Okhorona pryrody na Ukraïni (Protecting Nature in Ukraine, 1958).
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]