Schools for children of the clergy
Schools for children of the clergy [духовні училища; dukhovni uchylyshcha]. Four-year schools established in 1884 in the Russian Empire for the children of the clergy. These schools represented the first level of religious education, and their graduates could enter seminaries. Their program of study was similar to that of the first years of the gymnasium, with the exception of the study of foreign languages. In Ukraine, in 1917 there were 30 such schools. All instruction was in Russian.
[This article originally appeared in the Encyclopedia of Ukraine, vol. 4 (1993).]