Sheptytsky Institute (Instytut im. A. Sheptytskoho). A Ukrainian Catholic student residence located in Saskatoon. The institute was opened in 1953 as a successor to the M. Shashkevych Institute (est 1935 by the Ukrainian Catholic Brotherhood of Canada) in Saskatoon. Initially it was under the jurisdiction of the Episcopal Corporation of Saskatchewan, but in 1975 it established a board of directors chosen from across Saskatchewan. As well, in its early days the Institute was an all-male facility; in 1979 it became co-educational. The institute accommodates approx 100 students, houses a library, hosts community activities, and occasionally sponsors Ukrainian studies courses.
[This article was updated in 2007.]